5G is now free on Ryan Reynolds’ carrier Mint Mobile – CNET

Mint Mobile 5G

Mint Mobile has added 5G for free to all phone plans.

Mint Mobile

Mint Mobile now provides 5G access to all customers free of charge, the company announced Tuesday. The carrier, which is owned by actor Ryan Reynolds, uses T-Mobile's 4G LTE and 5G networks for coverage. On all plans, a 5G-compatible phone will switch from 4G to 5G depending on whichever signal is strongest in your current location.

"Every Mint plan has 5G for free ... unlike some of our competitors," Mint Mobile said.

"It seems we may never know what 5G is, so we're just going to give it away for free with every plan until we figure that out," Reynolds said in a video.

Mint Mobile's introductory three-month plans cost $15 a month for 3GB of data, $20 a month for 8GB, $25 a month for 12GB and $30 a month for unlimited data. Pricing is the same on its 12-month plans but is slightly more expensive on a six-month option. Plans also include unlimited talk and text, free calling to Mexico and Canada and free mobile hotspot capabilities.

"No 5G signal goes farther (others can be blocked by things like leaves)," Mint Mobile said, adding it uses low-band 600MHz spectrum "because it's the one that benefits you the most."

Read more: Verizon vs. AT&T vs. T-Mobile compared: How to pick the best 5G carrier for you

The three major US carriers use different radio waves for their 5G networks: Verizon uses high-band millimeter-wave 5G spectrum, which is limited to traveling short distances and being blocked by solid obstacles like buildings and trees, while AT&T uses 850MHz spectrum for its low-band 5G network.

T-Mobile also uses low-band 600MHz spectrum -- which has better range but slower speeds -- but is now also integrating Sprint's midband 2.5GHz spectrum since the carrier's $26.5 billion merger with Sprint went through in April. 

You can check out Mint Mobile's coverage map here to see if there's 5G service in your area.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Joe Biden now has his own Animal Crossing island – CNET

Joe Biden Animal Crossing

Joe Biden's Animal Crossing island went live Friday.

Biden campaign
This story is part of Elections 2020, CNET's coverage of the run-up to voting in November.

Presidential candidate Joe Biden is trying to find more voters in cutesy Nintendo Switch game Animal Crossing. The former vice president launched his own island in the game on Friday, with Biden HQ touting ice cream, trains and aviators.

"With less than three weeks until Election Day, we are continuing to reach out to voters across the country wherever they are," said Christian Tom, Biden's director of digital partnerships. "Biden HQ will encourage players to explore all the ways they can make a plan to vote at IWillVote.com and help elect Joe Biden and Kamala Harris."

There's even exclusive Biden-Harris merch for Animal Crossing players, which you can access by texting "AC" to 30330. In-game merchandise includes "No Malarkey" t-shirts and Kamala Harris-themed "I'm speaking" caps.

Read more: The best Nintendo Switch games for 2020

The island includes a polling place that pushes players to IWillVote.com. There's also a White House. You can meet Biden on the island, with his character sporting aviator sunglasses.

It comes after Biden last month launched digital campaign yard signs for Animal Crossing players.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Twitter to join Facebook in banning Holocaust denial content, report says – CNET

coronavirus-twitter-logo-9701
Image by Pixabay; illustration by CNET

Twitter will start removing Holocaust denial content from its social media platform under its hateful conduct policy, a report Wednesday said. It comes two days after Facebook updated its hate speech policy to prohibit "content that denies or distorts the Holocaust."

A spokesperson confirmed to Bloomberg that Twitter will remove content that "attempts to deny or diminish" violent events like the Holocaust.

"We strongly condemn anti-semitism, and hateful conduct has absolutely no place on our service," the Twitter spokesperson told Bloomberg. "We also have a robust 'glorification of violence' policy in place and take action against content that glorifies or praises historical acts of violence and genocide, including the Holocaust."

Twitter didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

As well as removing posts that deny the Holocaust -- the World War II genocide of Europe's Jewish population by Nazi Germany and its collaborators -- Facebook will later this year start directing people who search for Holocaust denial terms to credible sources of information. 

"Our decision is supported by the well-documented rise in anti-Semitism globally and the alarming level of ignorance about the Holocaust, especially among young people," Monika Bickert, Facebook vice president of content policy, said in a release Monday. It followed Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in 2018 saying Holocaust denial content should not be removed from the social media platform because he didn't think those posting it were "intentionally getting it wrong."

Approximately 6 million Jewish people were murdered between 1941 and 1945 in Europe during the second world war, according to the US Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Judge makes permanent the injunction preventing Apple from banning Epic’s Unreal Engine – CNET

fortnite-logo-6399

Fortnite has been kicked out of the App Store.

Angela Lang/CNET

The battle royale between Epic Games and Apple continues, with a judge on Friday denying a request to force Apple to allow Fortnite back into the App Store while legal proceedings continue. But the US District Court for the Northern District of California also ordered Apple to allow Epic to operate its Unreal Engine developer account in the App Store, Mac Rumors reported.

This means a temporary injunction that allows Fortnite to be banned but doesn't allow Apple to block Unreal Engine is now permanent.

Apple and Epic didn't immediately respond to requests for comment, but Apple told Bloomberg it's "grateful the court recognized that Epic's actions were not in the best interests of its own customers."

Apple and Epic will continue their court battle in May 2021. This follows Epic suing Apple on Aug. 13 after alleging that the iPhone maker's rules requiring a 30% cut of all app sales are anticompetitive. Epic broke Apple's rules by turning on a hidden code in Fortnite through which players could buy items directly from Epic at a discount.

Apple banned Fortnite from the App Store as a result.

Read more: Epic suing Apple and Google over Fortnite bans: Everything you need to know

Now playing: Watch this: Epic vs. Apple lawsuit heads to trial in 2021

3:46

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Presidential debate canceled after Trump declines virtual option – CNET

Vote stickers for the elction

The final debate is set for Oct. 22 in Nashville, Tennessee.

James Martin/CNET
For the most up-to-date news and information about the coronavirus pandemic, visit the WHO website.
This story is part of Elections 2020, CNET's coverage of the run-up to voting in November.

The second presidential debate, slated for Oct. 15, has been canceled. It was scheduled to take place virtually due to COVID-19, but President Donald Trump declined this option Thursday. The final debate will still take place Oct. 22, the Commission on Presidential Debates said Friday.

The final debate will be in person at Belmont University, Nashville, Tennessee, and will involve "testing, masking, social distancing and other protocols" for health and safety, the commission said. 

The decision to make the second debate virtual came after Trump tested positive for COVID-19 last week. 

On Thursday, Trump's lead physician said the president "has completed his course of therapy for COVID-19." White House physician Sean Conley estimated Trump will return to public engagements on Saturday, but he has yet to give any information on the president's most recent negative test.

Trump departed Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Monday, after his doctors said Sunday that his health was improving as he responded to treatment for COVID-19.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Presidential debate canceled after Trump declines virtual option – CNET

Vote stickers for the elction

The final debate is set for Oct. 22 in Nashville, Tennessee.

James Martin/CNET
For the most up-to-date news and information about the coronavirus pandemic, visit the WHO website.
This story is part of Elections 2020, CNET's coverage of the run-up to voting in November.

The second presidential debate, slated for Oct. 15, has been canceled. It was scheduled to take place virtually due to COVID-19, but President Donald Trump declined this option Thursday. The final debate will still take place Oct. 22, the Commission on Presidential Debates said Friday.

The final debate will be in person at Belmont University, Nashville, Tennessee, and will involve "testing, masking, social distancing and other protocols" for health and safety, the commission said. 

The decision to make the second debate virtual came after Trump tested positive for COVID-19 last week. 

On Thursday, Trump's lead physician said the president "has completed his course of therapy for COVID-19." White House physician Sean Conley estimated Trump will return to public engagements on Saturday, but he has yet to give any information on the president's most recent negative test.

Trump departed Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Monday, after his doctors said Sunday that his health was improving as he responded to treatment for COVID-19.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Trump says COVID-19 stimulus negotiations are over until after the election – CNET

money-cash-dollar-bills-flag-8184

President Trump says stimulus negotiations are over until after the election.

Angela Lang/CNET
For the most up-to-date news and information about the coronavirus pandemic, visit the WHO website.

US President Donald Trump has tweeted that negotiations over a second stimulus bill have ended until after the Nov. 3 presidential election. Trump, who is currently undergoing various medical treatments for COVID-19 after testing positive last week, said Tuesday he has rejected House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's request for $2.4 trillion dollars.

"I have instructed my representatives to stop negotiating until after the election when, immediately after I win, we will pass a major Stimulus Bill that focuses on hardworking Americans and Small Business," Trump tweeted. (Here are more details about the current situation and what it means.)

The president claimed the Democrats' requested $2.4 trillion would be used to "bailout poorly run, high crime, Democrat States, money that is in no way related to COVID-19."

Trump added he's instead asked Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell to "focus full time on approving my outstanding nominee to the United States Supreme Court, Amy Coney Barrett." 

While Trump's tweets added the stock market is at "record levels," the Dow dropped almost 400 points following his announcement of stimulus talks breaking down.

Read more: Next stimulus check: Everything to know now that Trump has COVID

The president's announcement comes despite a pro-stimulus tweet from three days ago while he was hospitalized at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center. "Our great USA wants and needs stimulus. Work together and get it done. Thank you!"

The first stimulus payment sent out in March was for up to $1,200 per adult, but a second stimulus check could be larger or smaller, depending on whether your financial circumstances have changed or if the qualifications for dependents are broadened.

The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only and is not intended as health or medical advice. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, Sundar Pichai to testify before Congress this month – CNET

screen-shot-2020-07-29-at-10-50-08-am.png

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg testified via video before members of the House judiciary's antitrust subcommittee in July.

Screenshot by Queenie Wong/CNET

Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey have agreed to testify before Congress on Oct. 28. Google CEO Sundar Pichai has also accepted, a report late Friday said. The news comes a day after the US Senate's Commerce committee voted unanimously to subpoena the appearances of Zuckerberg, Pichai and Dorsey. The CEOs agreed to appear without being subpoenaed, according to The Washington Post Friday.

The hearing relates to changes being considered to Section 230 of the 1996 Communications Decency Act. Section 230 is considered the most important law protecting speech online. It prevents social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, and internet providers, such as Verizon and Comcast, from lawsuits over posts made by users on their services.

Twitter began labelling President Donald Trump's tweets in in May, flagging them as being "potentially misleading."  The situation culminated in Trump signing an executive order targeting social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. The order resulted in the Justice Department last week unveiling its proposal to amend Section 230 to remove protections for online platforms

"Jack has voluntarily agreed to testify virtually before the Senate Commerce Committee on October 28 — less than a week before the US Presidential Election," Twitter confirmed in a tweet. "We've made our views clear on reactionary and politicized attempts to erode #Section230. They threaten the future of online speech and Internet freedoms. Reasoned and productive debate is essential."

Facebook confirmed Zuckerberg's appearance, but declined to comment. Google didn't immediately respond to a request for comment. Both Zuckerberg and Pichai made virtual appearances before a House antitrust subcommittee in July, along with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos and Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

World of Warcraft’s next expansion has been delayed – CNET

World of Warcraft Shadowlands

The next battle for Azeroth has been delayed.

Blizzard

Blizzard has announced it's delaying the launch of the next World of Warcraft expansion to later this year. The games studio is yet to determine the new launch date of Shadowlands, WoW executive producer John Hight said late Thursday. 

"We're at a point where the zones, the campaign, the level-up questing experience and the story we have to tell are essentially ready to share," Hight said. "[But] it's become clear we need a little more time for additional polish, and to balance and iterate on some interlocking pieces -- particularly those related to the endgame."

The delay was attributed to creating "one of the most intricate expansions" ever while Blizzard staffers work from home due to the coronavirus pandemic. "The challenge of tuning the endgame was compounded by the team having to work from home," he added.

The World of Warcraft: Shadowlands pre-patch will still be released on Oct. 13, and will include revamped character leveling, the new area of Exile's Reach and new character customizations. There will also be a battle for Azeroth against the Scourge during a pre-launch event closer to the release date.

The expansion was originally slated to be released on Oct. 26. You can pre-purchase Shadowlands now, starting at $39.99.

Read more: The best games for your work-from-home laptop

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More

See the new Billie Eilish music video for James Bond theme song No Time to Die – CNET

james-bond-no-time-to-die-b25-39456-rc2

No Time to Die comes out Nov. 20 in the US.

Universal

The James Bond: No Time to Die music video from Billie Eilish launched on YouTube Thursday. It shows black and white footage from the upcoming movie, as well as the singer performing the song. Watch it below. 

Billie Eilish was chosen back in January for the Bond theme, and is the youngest artist to write and record a James Bond theme song.

The most recent No Time to Die trailer launched last month, with the flick to be the 25th James Bond movie and Daniel Craig's final outing as the spy. After being delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, the movie is now scheduled for release in the UK and Australia on Nov. 12, and in the US on Nov. 20. It's the longest movie in the 007 series, with a runtime of two hours and 43 minutes.

Let's block ads! (Why?)

Read More
Page 1 of 1912345»10...Last »